My kids aren’t usually huge fans of stew, but everyone in the house ate a huge bowl of my pumpkin stew and my husband even asked for a second helping! I was so pleased with how this came out and I can’t wait for another opportunity to make it.
You can serve this alongside some apple slices, Greek yogurt, or top your stew with some yummy parmesan cheese. If you need a super easy and incredible dinner to make for your family, you have got to try this One Pot Pumpkin Stew. You won’t be dissapointed!
Pumpkin Stew Recipe:
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp coconut oil, ghee or olive oil
1 butternut squash/pumpkin or hokkaido pumpkin
3 sprigs rosemary, bash them a few times with the end of a knife
1 organic lemon, zest and juice
1 small head of cabbage
1 cup uncooked whole grain rice, pre-soaked
1 cup uncooked black eyed peas, pre-soaked
water to cover, approx. 6 cups / 1 1/2 liter
1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder (with no added MSG)
3 dried bay leaves
sea salt and pepper, to taste
In the morning: Place whole grain rice and black eyed peas in two separate bowls, cover with (filtered) water and let soak for 8-12 hours. Then drain and rinse and they are ready to be used in the recipe.
- Peel and finely chop onion and garlic.
- Prepare the pumpkin; peel it, divide it in half and scoop out the seeds. Then chop it into cubes.
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onion, garlic and rosemary sprigs, let fry for a minute or so, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cubed pumpkin and lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Slice the cabbage, discard the stem. Add cabbage, soaked and rinsed whole grain rice and black eyed peas, water, bouillon, bay leaves, salt and pepper to the pot and stir around to combine everything.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil, then lower the heat and let cook for 45-60 minutes.
- Check every now and then to see if more water is needed and gently stir around.
- It is ready to serve when the rice and peas are very tender.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of yogurt, fresh parsley and chopped apples.
On the Next Page you can watch a video of this delicious and healthy Pumpkin Stew being made that will take any guesswork out of this recipe for you.