This is a favorite recipe in my house. Since it’s healthy, I have no problem making this soup once a week when the kids are begging for it! This creamy recipe is a perfect representation of just how delicious healthy food can be.
You can make this recipe even healthier by choosing raw butter and milk or using coconut or almond milk in place of the dairy milk. You can also use gluten-free flour or rice flour in place of regular flour. However you choose to make this recipe, it is deliciously creamy and so good!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 3 generous cups sliced, unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons soup base, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream or half & half
- In a large sauce pan or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes or until it begins to soften and look translucent. Add the zucchini, water, dried parsley, and 1 teaspoon of soup base and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender and about half of the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and carefully transfer to a blender. Puree zucchini mixture until smooth, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour until well combined. Whisk in the milk and cream. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring continuously until mixture is thick. Combine the milk mixture with the pureed vegetables. Adjust seasonings. Thin with milk if desired. Eat warm.
Whether you use fresh zucchini from the store or farmer’s market or right out of your garden, this is one soup recipe you’ll be making again and again.
My thanks go to ‘Some The Wiser‘ for this delicious Cream of Zucchini Soup recipe and featured image!